Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas is coming, we've got the goose fat

"Ooh, it'll soon be Christmas", my Mum always says. In August. But sure enough, it's nearly Christmas, and our first summertime one.

It was a bit difficult getting into the idea that it was Christmas, as the weather started getting warmer. I was walking down Rundle Street (our equivalent of Market Street, but without the hoodies or Primark. You still get goths, Emo's and Big Issue sellers though) at the start of December wondering why on earth Christmas Carols were being piped through in late spring, before I realised it was me, and not Adelaide city council who was out of sync.

Anyway, I think we consciously decided a hot Christmas was going to be a positive thing and we should just get on with it. I always pump up the x-mas atmos with my 74 track mini-disc full of Christmas cheese. It's the same one I've used for about 4 years, so got me right in the mood. I love all that rubbish, and was pleased to pick up a couple more Cd's in Target for $4.95 (about 2 pound fifty), which include the little known outside Australia track 'Santa never made it into Darwin'. Ho, ho, ho.

Our first Christmas event was our Church's Christmas Carol service. Trinity Bay meets in a community centre, so the carol service was in the local high school. It was fantastic. About 400 came along to see a full choir, band and beautifully transformed hall. It was very professional but accessible. Best of all though, after the service we had fun and festivities on the lawn - a barbecue, bouncy castles and slide, a mobile climbing wall, a gourmet coffee van (not much happens in Australia without the presence of coffee) and the ministers old VW van available for anyone to have a go at painting. All for free!

We also had 2 Gingerbread house making events - one for just women, where Sharon did a bit of a gospel talk, and one for families. Everyone tells me Sharon did really well.

Christmassy words that are different in Australia
  1. You don't got to your work's Christmas 'do'. You go to a Christmas 'show'. I couldn't make ours, so I don't know what it is you show, exactly.
  2. Christmas crackers are called Bon-bons.  But, confusingly, you can still get round sherbet covered sweets that you or I would call bon-bons. 'Lollies', I mean, I must remember, sweets are called 'lollies'.
  3. A 'Secret Santa' is called a 'Kris Kringle'. But they've never heard of a Chris-dingle orange with sticks in thingy.
We visited Lobethal, a town in the hills renowned for it's Christmas lights. The number of houses with lights was impressive, and it reminded me of driving through Blackpool Illuminations. We arrived just in time to see the living nativity, complete with a real baby, an uncomfortably over aged Joseph, a heavenly host of children and traditional nativity scene Alpacas.  No donkeys, but a couple of Alpacas.  To be honest, I think I've been spoilt by the unbridled tack of the Christmas lights that festoon houses in Burnage, so this lot seemed a bit low key to me.

We've got Gareth, Wendy, their 3 children, Aunty Bo and Uncle Andy, and our next door neighbours Helen and Adam coming for Christmas dinner. I'll let you know how we go on. One thing's for sure - come hail, rain or shine, I'll be visiting the beach on Christmas day. Just because I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment